Thursday, October 13, 2011

Green Smoothie Treasure Chest: Mason Jars & Working Glass

If you're like me, you're busy and you may use smoothies as snacks on the go, or a really large smoothie (with a significant protein) as a meal replacement.  But wait, you need a blender and straw--not very travel friendly.  My solution?  I blend my smoothies in the morning for a healthy breakfast.  Or before I leave home for the day I make my smoothie and use mason jars (with plastic screw top lids) or working glass jars as to-go containers.  From my experience the plastic mason jar lids are pretty spill resistant, but I doubt they're completely water tight so be careful--put the smoothie in a plastic bag to catch spills if you're going to put the jar in your purse.  If you purchase a dozen mason jars, they make fun and stylish water glasses too!  (Sorry for the weird flash picture).
Now these won't keep your smoothie cold, but if you're going to drink the smoothie on the drive to work it doesn't need to stay cold all day.  Or you may have a handy refrigerator at work to keep your lunch and snacks cold.  One note--you may get questions at work like, "What is that?"  "What are you drinking?"  "Gross."  Remember, instead of a morning doughnut, you're having fruits and vegetables.  You've made a healthy choice.  Good for you!  But if you want to keep your smoothie more red and purple, use beet powder or extra blueberries.  Remember you'll still have bits of spinach and kale floating around.  And bananas and avocados will start to turn a little funky gray color in the course of a day, but no worries--the smoothie is still okay to drink.  Though I wouldn't suggest keeping a smoothie for more than about a day and a half (and keep it refrigerated!).  If I make a whole blender full of smoothie, I usually have one full meal sized smoothie and a smaller size, which I store in a 14 oz working glass jar or a smaller jelly jar, as a snack for later in the day.  Also, remember to rinse out your smoothie container once you've drank it--otherwise bits of spinach and fruit residue will dry onto the jar (no worries,  a light scrubbing will remove it if you forget to rinse).

Here's some Amazon links to purchase:
Mason Jars (pint size as pictured)
Plastic Mason Jar Lids  (these are the regular size, they also have wide mouth size--check the size of your mason jars before you purchase!)
Working Glass Jars 21 oz and Working Glass Jars 14 oz (pictured above)

Upcoming posts--My blender and eco friendly glass straws!

No comments:

Post a Comment